Nutritious, healthful food is the fuel that powers our children through their busy day. (Same for all of us, by the way!) You can, and should, make sure they have all the advantages possible. A young body and mind energized with the natural power of SuperFoods can’t help but have a more rewarding day at school.
Here are a couple ideas for healthy school lunches.
- Hot whole grain pasta with marinara sauce.
- Black beans, cubed grilled turkey breast and salsa.
- Cold grilled chicken and veggie skewers.
- Cold penne pasta salad with chopped veggies, cubed turkey breast and favorite dressing.
We typically think of lunch as having an entrée or sandwich, a fruit and/or veggie and milk or water. But this doesn’t always have to be the case. Other lunch options include:
- Hummus and pita bread
- Black bean and corn salsa with baked tortilla chips.
- Veggies with peanut butter dip or yogurt dressing dip.
- Hardboiled egg and crackers.
Above all, ask your child what he or she wants to eat. And no matter what you pack, ask your child to bring home whatever he/she doesn’t eat. This way you can see how much your child is eating and learn what he/she is willing to eat. Also, nothing ends up in the school trashcan.