Once people find out that dark chocolate is a SuperFood, they go searching for any and all recipes to get their fix. We don’t blame them. This recipe is uniquely special in that it combines two (count them, two!) SuperFoods: dark chocolate and pumpkin. Why not make our indulgences all the more healthful?
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened non-alkalized cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp softened butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large omega-3 egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray an 8 x 8 square pan with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Cream butter with brown and white sugar until well mixed (about 2 minutes).
- Mix in egg.
- Add 1/2 flour mixture and 1/2 pumpkin mixture and stir.
- Add the other 1/2 of the flour mixture and pumpkin mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack.
If you like, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Why We Love It
This beautiful and healthy dark chocolate cake recipe is rich and delicious. Plus, it incorporates the SuperFood pumpkin, which surprisingly ads tons of great flavor to the mix while making this oh-so-chocolatey cake as moist as it can be. Enjoy!