Shopping for tomatoes that will have the most powerful and reliable effect on your health is surprisingly easy. You probably don’t even need to leave home to find what you need.
Ironically, processed tomatoes actually may have more benefit than fresh tomatoes and even cherry tomatoes because the nutrients are more concentrated. That means you probably already have most of the tomato preparations that can help you boost your intake of this powerful food right in your pantry. Now, you simply have to remember to eat them regularly.
Here are some quick ideas for getting more tomato in your life:
- Sauté cherry tomatoes in some extra virgin olive oil and herbs. Toss over pasta or serve as a side dish.
- Use sun-dried tomatoes (no salt added) in sandwiches.
- Toss a can of diced tomatoes into soups and stews.
- Make homemade pizza with extra sauce and top with your favorite vegetables. Many supermarkets sell pizza dough that only needs to be shaped, topped and baked.
- A delicious and quick meal idea is turkey or chicken cutlet, pounded thin, quickly sautéed until golden brown. Top it with a favorite salsa and bake in the oven until done. Sprinkle a bit of grated cheese on top near the end of cooking and shower it with chopped cilantro or parsley before serving.
- Top a toasted slice of whole wheat bread with sliced avocado and some chunky salsa.